[RULE] Installing from SCSI CDrom, or Slinky in Kinshasa

Martin Fox butibum at bluewin.ch
Sat Jan 27 18:29:57 EET 1990

Hi
System used here was a Toshiba T2400CS 486 laptop, 12M RAM and a SCSI CDROM.
Most important is to identify the SCSI interface so you know what modules to load and what parameters to pass at boot time.
My system is an Adaptec AHA152X type and the parameters you need to know are:
io (eg 0x340) and irq (eg 11)
There are other parameters but these two seemed to be the critical ones, the defaults were ok for the others for the first time around.

Procedure which worked for me, at least as far as I noted it down was:
1. Make boot, pcmcia and disk2 floppies.
2. Download the iso image of Slinky (0.3.6) for me, installing RedHat 8.0.
3. Burn to a CD, mount it on another system (or the iso of course) and copy the module files aha152x.o, scsi_mod.o and sr_mod.o to a floppy disk ('spare') formatted with the ext2 fs (mke2fs /dev/fd0)
4.Boot up the T2400 with the boot disk, Linux mem=12M.
5. Mount 'spare' floppy (mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy)
6. Insert the SCSI/CD drive modules with:
insmod /mnt/floppy/scsi_mod.o
insmod /mnt/floppy/sr_mod.o
insmod /mnt/floppy/aha152x.o io=0x340 irq=11

The last command should generate some screen output that the system has found a CDROM with Vendor, Type details, Attached SCSI CDROM sr0 at scsi0 etc. (Alternatively cat /proc/scsi/scsi should give similar output. Probably you can cat /proc/scsi/aha152x/0 to see the details of the specific device if all is well).
7. Insert the slinky cd and mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
Check it is mounted ok and that you can read the cd.
8. Create a symlink ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom
so that slinky can find this device during install.
9. Edit /etc/fstab to include the line
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9600 defaults 0 0
to mount the cd at boot time.
10. Run the script /install/setup.sh
11. Installation followed ok.
12. I found that after the restart the scsi cdrom was not being found. I added the modprobe command into the file rc.local
modprobe aha152x aha152x=0x340,11,7,0,0,0,100,0
Probably could have added an append line to th grub.conf.slinky file in /boot/grub I guess.
Alternative is by hand to issue the insmod commands.

Anyway that worked for me, YMMV.
I do not know how I would have done it without a floppy drive.
I had to sort out the PCMCIA modules also as my network card/modem are on this interface.
I copied the Xvesa file from the Kdrive page and relinked X to start an X window session.
(I have a problem with bpp and color depth but hopefully I can sort that out).
I am no guru, just a tinkerer but it seems to have worked ok so far. Thanks for a great project.
HTH
regards
Martin