[Rule-list] mailing list privacy

Chuck Moss cmrule at mossc.com
Thu Feb 7 22:54:55 EET 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 04:58:22PM +0100, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> thank you for your suggestions, you are right. I will make the changes
> you suggest as soon as I go home ( I only have email access now).
>
> I am going to announce the project on the enigma list within today
> (after the list setup changes of course). I will put the pages I
> prepared on a free provider here in Italy, to get started, and, in the
> meantime, gladly accepting all the help you can give, will learn cvs
> in the background.
>
> I understand the concepts of check in, check out and such, and have used
> ssh in the past. I am surely missing something absolutely stupid in:
>
> 	what to do on my computer BEFORE ever connecting to savannah
> 	the path to the right directory on the savannah server
>
> 	any combination of the above.
>
> Last but not least, yes, this is going to be fun.
>
> Ciao,
>
> 		Marco

Well it looks like you did manage to import the html into CVS.  I did not
know about the seperate repositories for source and html.
The html is in the source repository.  The html repository is empty.

I am guessing you have setup your ssh shared key already.

Here are the basic steps you should need to do to get the files in the
webcvs repository.

HTML_DIR=your dir of html source
cd $HTML_DIR

export CVS_RSH=ssh
# actually import your files
cvs -z3 -dmarco at subversions.gnu.org:/webcvs/ import  non-gnu/rule/ start new

cd ..
mv $HTML_DIR $HTML_DIR.orig

# your original directory is not a cvs checked out repository so you
# actually need to check out the files to modify them in the future

# the checked out directory maintains it's state with a CVS subdir in every
# directory.  You can tell whether a dir was checked out from cvs by
# whether or not a CVS subdir exists.

cvs -z3 -dmarco at subversions.gnu.org:/webcvs/ co non-gnu/rule/
mv rule rule.html
cd rule.html
gvim <file>
cvs commit -m"modified html" <file>

# i think all the flags used to check out the module are maintained within
# the CVS subdir including the username and full path to the repository.
# the -z3 may be an exception.

Let me know if these commands give you errors and save your error messages.

Chuck
p.s. you may want to go ahead and add me as a developer the account name is
mossc.