[Rule-list] Thoughts on the installer

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Thu Feb 7 23:29:15 EET 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 16:07:18 at 04:07:18PM -0500, Chuck Moss wrote:
> What I would like to see is a modified installer that allows your to
> install via a floppy image in less than 32 MB ram.  This would use the
> stock redhat CDs.

I like that, because, apart from advantages for the end user,
it's also very useful for TESTING!

Doing it like this means that every tester with the stock enigma CDs must only
download the image whenever it changes to see if it works or not

> So how about we patch anaconda to do the following:

> 1. default to text based install
> 2. ignore dependency checking - we would be able to generate the rpm list
> with a manual install then dump a list of installed packages.
> 3. read packages from file rather than UI. (kickstart?)
>
> Then we can concentrate on developing canned configs for special purposes.

Makes a lot of sense to me. We want to make available standard tools,
but configured in such a way that their functionality is extended as
much as possible.
As far as I understand, and always in the name of compatibility,
installing the stock RPMs, and then overwriting their config files
with some post install script is the safest/easiest way to do it.

> After the base install got the box on the network users could install other
> packages with up2date or other rpm based tools.

This is another essential feature. Upgrades/adding packages must be
doable with standard RH procedures.

We need to focus on how to be productive, not just active.
        Scott McNealy, chairman, CEO, and cofounders, Sun Microsystems.