[Rule-list] Re: A new project supporting schools

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Fri Feb 8 11:48:29 EET 2002

David,

I am happy to know that you find our initiative interesting. We *do*
want to share what we are doing with schools. As you can read on our
web page, schools with low budget are at least half of the reasons why
we got started.

I have read on schoolforge that custom linux distributions for schools
already exist. One of our key assumption instead was that children
should be introduced to Free software with MAINSTREAM Open Source applications, not special ones:
ideally, just picking up the STANDARD Red Hat CDs that every IT magazine
gives away, and use OUR install software to squeeze it into an OLD PC.
This also makes finding support and precompiled packages much easier.

Right now we are at the very beginning: we are still discussing the
purely technical sides of the projects. Probably, the best way we can
start to work together is if you (schoolforge, and all similar sites)
i.e. our users:

	start discussing among you your requirements:

		how it should be,
		how you would use it,
		any special need (schools for blind children,
 				interaction with lab equipment in
 				technical schools....)

	submit/signal to us (possibly packaged in RPM format) any
	existing GPL school software you use. Please read our package
	selection criteria first, but submit them anyway.

We look forward to hear from you!

		Marco Fioretti

RULE project: http://spazioweb.inwind.it/marco_web/