[Rule-list] Modifying the current anaconda--progress update

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Fri Feb 8 13:46:01 EET 2002

> >For example, does it include rlogin/rsh? if so, since we ARE going to
> >put openssh in, do we need them?
>
> Yes, it should. The main (only?) reason is about the final goal of this
> project: if  our goal is to let low-powered pc running redhat, we could
> provide full compatibility with new systems but also with older systems....
> For example: what if an old server (with older tools) should work with
> RHLight ?(mmhh... it could be another name, couldn't it?)

Pietro,

first of all, welcome on board!

Compatibility is an excellent argument. In this particular case,
however, just about any security tutorial around recommends to avoid
certain tools.

In the scenario that you present, they would probably tell you to remove
rlogin/rsh from the old server, not the other way around.

Our base install should set good practices too.

For these reasons, my first gut feeling is that, in this case, it
should install only openssh, since nothing forbids the user to add
rlogin/rsh/anything else later. Of course I might be wrong, and it
also depends from how those two applications are packaged today.

About the distribution name: we are not starting a new distro, just
adding another installation option to Red Hat, as explained in the
web pages. We don't need anything naming Red Hat, just something
meaningful to add to "custom/server/kde workstation/etc..."