[Rule-list] Modifying the current anaconda--progress update

Bill Crawford bill at syseng.netcom.net.uk
Sat Feb 9 03:21:15 EET 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Martin Stricker wrote:

> Bill Crawford wrote:
> >  Here's the problem.  I don't think we'll be able to reduce the memory
> > requirements much unless we can replace this somehow ... my thinking
> > at the moment is along the lines of creating a single CD with basic
> > packages on and doing the install from that.  A second disk could be
> > used to "upgrade" the system or otherwise add packages later, perhaps,
> > once the initial install is complete.

> What about giving the user only some preconfigured install options
> ("workstation", "router", "firewall", "server" and the like) which will
> be kickstart scripts so (I think) no dependency checking will be done =>
> far lower memory requirement? I don't know much about kickstart, I never
> used it, so any ideas?

 Kickstart sounds like an excellent way to handle it, especially if
there were a group of similar machines to install in one go (but then
a "ghost" image type install would be useful for that, too).

> reiserfs-utils without reiserfs? Both lilo and grub? etc. Yes, I think
> we could throw something out of base-install. But on the other hand it
> might be a Good Thing to have the standard Red Hat base install for
> compatibility reasons? Maybe again kickstart could help? I think about
> kickstart first installing the base install and then offer the
> installation of more "package topics" like firewall, router,
> workstation, maybe even a small X?

 I think reiserfs should probably be left out; it's a big chunk of code
and even if you load it as a module it eats valuable RAM (says the man
with /, /home, /usr and /usr/local on reiserfs :o)

 As to LILO and GRUB, I'm guessing it'll have to be GRUB as that's now
pretty much the "default" nowadays ... a shame, as LILO works quite
well if your /boot superblock is shagged but the data is still there.

> >  Oh, and redhat-logos can go (to be replaced with grass-snake-icons or
> > something :o)
>
> So this needs some graphically capable person, so definitely not me.
> Volunteers?

 Definitely not me, either.

--
Bill Crawford, Unix Systems Developer, GTS Netcom
work: bill at ops.netcom.net.uk, home: billc at netcomuk.co.uk
	if (! (awake & TASK_RUNNABLE))
		return -ENOCAFFEINE;