[Rule-list] Modifying the current anaconda--progress update

Bill Crawford bill at syseng.netcom.net.uk
Sat Feb 9 03:38:15 EET 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:

> Good idea.  I tried just the base section by using a ks.cfg file that had
> nothing under the %packages section.  Here's what happened:
>
> Using ks mem=16M:
>
> The install took about 20 minutes, and it installed 132 packages and 262MB
> (according to the installer--once rebooted, df showed 203MB were actually
> used).  I set swap at 64MB, and during the install, it use no more than
> 47MB.

 That's not bad going!  I remember a 486 box taking an hour or so in
16MB, many years ago ... there's hope yet!

 However, that's a hefty chunk of swap.  If we're serious about our
target of even 200MB disks (I don't think that's a problem, really;
the 486 I refer to had a 2.1GB drive, albeit a little newer than the
CPU, so we could probably assume at least 200MB even for salvaged
old kit?)

 If I get time I'll see if I can create a cut-down CD with the base
packages and maybe the "utilities" cluster as well.  I still don't
have a spare box to test on, though, so if anyone could, uh, volunteer
to try it out ... ?

> Using ks mem=12M:
>
> The install took about 35 minutes, and installed the same packages.  The
> install used no more than 38MB swap.

 That's looking a bit healthier for RAM and swap usage, but given your
experience at 8M I suspect that's right on the edge of what will work.

> Now, the problem remains as to how to implement this.  I just tried using a
> floppy with the new anaconda, and using the original discs, but it looks
> like the stage2.img on the original disc is the culprit.  I have been using
> totally rebuilt discs.  Thus, it looks like we have to somehow change the
> stage2.img, or rebuild the disc(s).  Any ideas on this subject?

 I think it should be possible (me and my big mouth; I'll check this
out) to rebuild the installer without any X support in the runtime.
If so this should save a fair chunk *but* it's not the only thing
taking up space; it's framebuffer-based and doesn't have a "full" X
install in it.  I'm just going to have a poke around and see what
else is in the image ...

--
Bill Crawford, Unix Systems Developer, GTS Netcom
work: bill at ops.netcom.net.uk, home: billc at netcomuk.co.uk
	if (! (awake & TASK_RUNNABLE))
		return -ENOCAFFEINE;