[Rule-list] Modifying the current anaconda--progress update

Chuck Moss cmrule at mossc.com
Sun Feb 10 05:05:36 EET 2002

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 01:49:31AM +0100, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 23:57:04 at 11:57:04PM +0100, Martin Stricker wrote:
> > > so on might be doable-without.  And for 486-class machines surely we
> > > don't need hotplug ?
> >
> > reiserfs-utils without reiserfs? Both lilo and grub? etc. Yes, I think
> > we could throw something out of base-install. But on the other hand it
> > might be a Good Thing to have the standard Red Hat base install for
> > compatibility reasons? Maybe again kickstart could help? I think about
> > kickstart first installing the base install and then offer the
>
> We are not going to use this only on 486s. Things like reiser and
> iptables should be kept unless we are forced to a 2.2 kernel: let's
> demonstrate, if possible, that light *and* up to date can coexist..
>
> see also my message on the base install package list.
> If we trim the base install, one can always go back to it with a few
> rpm commands.
>
> About redhat-logos:
>
> marco $ du -sk du -sk /usr/share/pixmaps/redhat
> 704     /usr/share/pixmaps/redhat
>
> trimming it down HEAVILY: yes (cannot waste 700 KB of pictures in our situation
>
> changing the remaining pictures	: absolutely NO! We want compatibility and
> 			  	  support from Red Hat, not pissing them off

Agreed, we don't want to create YAD( yet another distro) with this project.
For me the ideal situation would be to have our tweaks incorporated in
redhats next installer as an option. (superexpert mode?) were dependencies
are not checked as part of the install.  Packages are provided as a
seperate disk/file/kickstart config.

Chuck