[Rule-list] Trimming the base package list

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Mon Feb 11 15:03:32 EET 2002

> Marco Fioretti wrote:
>
> > KEEP:
> > apmd            we will not use this ONLY on old PCs or laptops
> > hotplug         same as above
>
> Keep only if a laptop?
Isn't hotplug for USB stuff? if so, should be always there, right?
Same for apmd: if one has a desktop new enough to support it, and wants
our stuff just in the name of elegance, why not?

> > REMOVE
> >
> > bzip2-libs      are they needed by any planned application?
> > openldap        not for desktop use, I guess, on server can be
> >                 installed apart
> > dhcpcd          same as above
> > cyrus-sasl*     same as above
> > krb5-libs       same as above
> > lilo            why don't just use grub?
>
> MUST leave Lilo as an option.  I have several 1G PIII boxes that
> won't boot with grub but work great with Lilo (brand new 1U boxes).

OK, then (I was thinking that GRUB would boot everywhere....). But this
also makes the point about not using the project on old HW only, doesnt'
it?

> > raidtools       if we had money or need for RAID we wouldn't be
> >                 here...
> > ipchains        unless we find out we are forced to a 2.2 kernel
> > sendmail        postfix or exim seem definitely more indicated for
> >                 the newbie desktop case. Again, servers can install
> >                 it later
>
> Good.

Perfect! Anything else we can do without?

> > --
> > Live for the present, dream of the the future, learn from the past.
>
> Live in the past, to heck with the future, forget the past as it is
> irrelevant....
..but only after you have taken  food and clean clothes from where they
were hidden.....