[Rule-list] install and post install

Chuck Moss cmrule at mossc.com
Mon Feb 11 16:51:19 EET 2002

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 02:13:56AM +0100, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am reading through all your progresses with the installer. Thanks a
> lot for your work, and for the encouraging news! I eventually managed
> to mail the anaconda developer list, so we might hopefully get some
> help or information soon.
>
> I still have to absorb all the news you posted, but wanted to mention
> one thing right away.
>
> Remember that a lot of functionality will be in the system not by
> using some "do-it-all" mammoth, but by installing from standard RPMs
> some small programs and configuring them in the proper way. For
> example, as far as email is concerned, we will have to overwrite the
> default rc files of mutt, procmail, mailcap, abook...... so that one has
> the maximum functionality from the start.
>
> I am saying this now just to point out that we are going to do a lot
> of post install stuff anyway, either via kickstart or some other
> method, so don't be afraid to do anything to the installer that
> requires post install work.

I would stress the idea that we want to keep the modifications to the
Redhat stock install/installer to a minimum with the hope that we present
something to redhat that they can roll into future releases.

As far as postinstall goes, if we need to adjust any settings a custom rpm
may work as well as the postinstall scripts.  Once again moving in the
direction of eventual adoption by redhat.

Chuck