[Rule-list] init sequence and the /etc/rc directory

Chuck Moss cmrule at mossc.com
Mon Feb 11 16:57:22 EET 2002

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 02:19:40AM +0100, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> another track of investigation:
>
> Let's remember to make startup as fast as possible:
>
> 	no kudzu
> 	possibly, start SMTP and other stuff AFTER login
> 	(on desktop only, of course: in THAT situation, nobody
> 	needs to send/receive email BEFORE logging in..)
> 	other?

If the goal is to speed up startup I think that should be secondary to
improving performance/reducing requirements while running.

We could turn off kudzu and sendmail in the postinstall with
service kudzu off
service sendmail off

I think at this time we should worry less about which packages to install
and more about a general flexible solution.  I hope we can minimize changes
to allow installs with lower memory requirements.
After meeting that goal we can build custom lists of pretested RPMs for
various requirements.

Chuck