[Rule-list] Modified installer

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sat Feb 16 02:31:10 EET 2002

Devon wrote:

> Does anyone have a spare machine to try a test install on?
>
> NOTE: This should not be a machine you really care about. :)
> This is alpha quality at best.
>
> 16 MB of memory and a 500MB hard disk should be more than enough.

I got just today a new toy (thrown out of the company). I have to do
some assembling fist, but I'll tell the outcome.

> I'm uploading the iso image now (248 MB).

I'll download it monday at work (I only have 56k dial-up here at home).

> I can also post diffs on the anaconda package, the comps file, or
> anything else there is interest in.

That would be interesting. Just put them on the same directory as the
iso, I'll pick them up on monday.

> The packages included in the iso are listed here:
> http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/pkgfile
> Feedback on the included packages would be useful.

I'm not sure if redhat-release is allowed in non-original Red Hat
versions.

If I really needed to throw something out I would take tcsh (which is my
favorite shell so I really would miss it) and pspell with the aspell
packages (which I never use) out. finger, rsh, rusers,rwho, telnet for
security reasons (but if configured correctly they may stay, with ssh I
just see no need for them) Also I see no need for reiserfs-utils since
reiserfs isn't in the Red Hat standard kernel.

I'm only missing emacs here (I'm using both emacs and vi, for different
purposes). But then I can install it afterwards from my boxed set CDs.
I'll have to compare with the original comps file to see if I miss
anything else (not at hand right now).

OTOH it would be nice to stick as close to the Red Hat base install as
possible since we want RULE to eventually become part of the official
Red Hat Linux distro. Therefore it might be the better idea to put more
into it than less.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker