[Rule-list] non-x86 hardware ... heaps of old Macs need RULE

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sat Feb 16 02:31:53 EET 2002

isaac wrote:

> I looked over the archive and didn't see anything about non-x86
> hardware.
>
> I'd really like to see old Macs supported by RULE (especially the m68k
> ones), because they've been pretty much abandoned by Apple.
>
> There are distros of Linux that run on PowerPC and m68k (much of the
> hard work is already done), but support by a project like RULE is
> needed for all the same reasons ... old slow CPUs, very low RAM, small
> HD's, low-res/low-color video.

> I don't personally have the expertise or time to play this role within
> the RULE project, but I'm here to urge you to reach out to people
> working on PPC and m68k distros (such as SuSE, Debian, Mandrake,
> Yellow Dog) and try to get some of the people who already know Apple
> hardware to join the RULE project.

The RULE project was founded by users of Red Hat Linux, so it is based
on that distro. We hope RULE will be included as an install option in
the next release of Red Hat Linux, so we have to stick with Red Hat
Linux. Sadly Red Hat has discontinued both the SPARC and Alpha versions
(did they ever had a PPC or m68k version?), and they don't have a PPC or
m68k version right now.

Porting RULE to another distribution than Red Hat might be difficult
because the installer used is Red Hat's anaconda in a slimmed-down
version ("Lepto"). Other distros mostly use their own installer.

But you certainly have a point here: There are many low-hardware systems
out there which are not intel-based. I don't have any idea how to bring
RULE to those machines, but that would be a good idea... Anyone?

Best regards,
Martin Stricker