[Rule-list] Introduction

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sat Feb 16 18:52:19 EET 2002

James wrote:

>    Why run anaconda?  It's great if you have the possibility of
> several disks of apps or are trying to match a wide range of modern
> hardware.  In this case since I believe you intend to have a limited
> number of apps (low disk space)  Why not shrink the installer to
> something that simply says, take everything on this disk and install
> it on that disk.  Run configs etc AFTER the box boots the first time
> (you do intend to have tools that re-configure the box right?)  This
> would also limit the amount of i18n work needed on the installer,
> since it doesn't ask so dang many questions.

rant about those disk- and memory-consuming mega-applications we get
nowadays. We want RULE to eventually become part of the official Red Hat
Linux distribution. RULE is *not* intended to become yet another
distribution. Therefore it would be contraproductive (does this word
exist in English? ;=D) with regard to our goals if we would use another
installer. But then this might end in an improved anaconda!

I would *love* seeing other distros picking up the ideas behind RULE,
but my personal goal is to improve my favoured distro Red Hat. But if
you have ideas for a distro-independent (works with any distro)
installer I'm all ears!

> Thanks for reading my rant... I'll shut up (for) now.

I hope not for long! This very project started with a rant, and it's my
belief that commincating our ideas is the best way to find possible
improvements. Erveryone has different needs and ideas, and sharing these
ideas makes all of us richer!

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Webmaster-Forum: http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi