[Rule-list] Greetings

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sat Feb 16 23:22:36 EET 2002

Welcome aboard, Atakan!

Atakan Gurkan wrote:

> I am trying to teach myself python nowadays.

So you might be able to help unfolding the mysteries of Red Hat's Python
scripting with regard to the installer...

> Although the machine in my office is a high end pentium4, I have a
> somewhat lesser capable 133Mhz pentium classic with 64MB of RAM at
> home.

Red Hat Linux itself will happily install as long as 32 MB RAM are
present. But you can restrict the usage of RAM by telling the kernel
only to use, say, 16 MB by typing
mem=16M
at the boot prompt. That's the way I'll have to go myself since my
low-memory machine will have 2x16 = 32 MB RAM, and since it's EDO RAM I
cannot pull out one of them.

> I guess I can use it as a testbed for RULE or components of RULE. But,
> I understand this project has no lower limit on resources.

The Linux kernel needs at least a 386 Intel-compatible CPU and some
memory. I don't know how much is really needed, for *really* low-memory
systems you are better off with a 2.2 kernel instead of 2.4.

> I cannot spend a lot of time on this project. I think I can afford a
> couple of hours every week or so. I never participated in a project
> like this before, I hope for the best.

We need testers. Download the installer ISO image (about 280 MB, I hope
you can use the university's line) from
http://webpages.charter.net/lmf62/ , burn it on a CD or put it on the
hard disk for harddisk install, and install it with different mem=...
boot options. Then tell us how it went, if the system is usable and into
what difficulties you ran. I'll do the same on monday when I can
download it at work (my dial-up connection would take 14 hours, costing
a fortune ;-) ). The more tests we can do the more possible problems can
be found.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker