[Rule-list] WANTED: coordinator for installer subproject

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sun Feb 17 10:02:33 EET 2002

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 23:26:46 at 11:26:46PM -0500, Chuck Moss wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 12:24:58AM +0100, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I need somebody to pick up as technical coordinator for the installer
> > subproject. This person should:
> >
> > coordinate/distribute/follow closely the work among developers as needed
> > same as above w.r.t. to documentation
> > (anything else?)
>
> Not having learned my lesson before about volunteering I think I am willing
> to take this on.  Before I commit can you define the scope of the
> subproject?  I know it has come up before in the threads but I can't find a
> definitive summary in my archives....

We came to the conclusion (I think) that our work is mainly on two
to four (partially) parallel tracks:

1) change anaconda proper in something that will function in less than
32 MB RAM: choose better strategy, coordinate developers, prepare and
distribute test cases among testers, keep track of what happens....
Think about drivers too: installs via PCMCIA network card, weird
HW/bios, etc....

2) Change *other* pieces of the installation framework (comp files, that
kind of stuff.....) so they never cause overall memory need to go up to the
roof

3) Choose user space packages

4) All the post install work: user level configuration through post
install scripts, changing init sequence, anything in short that can
/ must happen before the first user login

Step 1 is the one I'm not able to manage: this definitely requires
somebody with the skills and spare equipment to do actual code hacking
and test installs personally. I will actively help in setting up the
requirements and coordinate that activity with the rest, but don't
know if can do much more than that.

Step 2 I don't know: I have to re read anything about that stuff
before realizing if I would help or just create confusion.

Steps 3 and 4 I can certainly coordinate myself, at least for now.

The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering
iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.