[Rule-list] Distro independent installer, was :Introduction

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sun Feb 17 19:17:52 EET 2002

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 14:54:11 at 02:54:11PM +0100, Martin Stricker wrote:

> > > But if you have ideas for a distro-independent (works with any
> > > distro) installer I'm all ears!
> >
> > Intresting concept.... hmmm.
>
> This might be doable with RPM-based distros, but every distro puts
> things in different places and so on...

Exactly. As interesting as this is, the focus of this project is Red
Hat. Everybody willing to do the same thing on other distro has our
best wishes, but let's deal with our main task now.

And consider that much of what we will do as post install
configuration will be by its own nature easily portable to other
environments. The installer, file system structure, and package
dependencies (**) are not (not without a *******lot****** of work, anyway)

	RULE project leader

(**) Including in that dependencies from kernel versions and patches,
gcc, glibc...........

--
Preserve the old, but know the new.