[Rule-list] OFFICIAL POLL: name of the new installer

Bill Crawford bill at syseng.netcom.net.uk
Sun Feb 17 20:15:57 EET 2002

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Marco Fioretti wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Let's set once and for all the name of the new installer. The list
> below is what is left after eliminating:
> Coral Snake
> Jaguar (eats anacondas..)

 We're looking for something sleek, and fast, yes ... actually that
would be a neat name.  How about "jaguar" as a release monicker and
then Lepto (below) as the installer name ...

> Lepto (leptospirosis comes to mind, however..)

 My vote's with this, since it was the first interesting-sounding
option that came up; and it starts with "L" too (alliteration).  The
"disease" connection is unpleasant, but then look at RH release names
(a toothpaste; an alleged alien space vehicle crash site; etc ...)

> Miniconda

 Baaad pun.

> Slinky

 IMO too similar to Debian "slink" although that's a release name.
Also might be a trademark issue, although I can't really see anyone
confusing a pretty, fun, flexible toy (the slinky) with ... uh, a
pretty, fun, flexible toy (our modified RH install).  Hmm, forget
that.

--
Bill Crawford, Unix Systems Developer, GTS Netcom
work: bill at ops.netcom.net.uk, home: billc at netcomuk.co.uk
	if (! (awake & TASK_RUNNABLE))
		return -ENOCAFFEINE;