[Rule-list] Distributing the distro

Jason Roysdon jason+rule at roysdon.net
Mon Feb 18 01:29:07 EET 2002

Somewhat on-topic with this is a work-around for using Up2Date, but
redirecting where the RPMs come from.  For instance, we nightly mirror any
changes we care about (no source, and just Intel-based RPMs) from
ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/7.2/en/os/ to
ftp.artoo.net/pub/redhat/linux/updates/7.2/en/os/.  When there is a new
update, I always use rpm manually to update from our mirror, but it would be
really nice to use Up2Date to automate watching what packages is installed
locally and dependancies in order to update.  My assumption for why RedHat
is using Up2Date to only pull from them is that eventually they're planning
to charge for the service and/or just want to keep the updates secure (but
if that was the case, just pull MD5 checksums for the updates from their
server, but allow you to pull the RPM from a local mirror).  Anyone have any
insight to this?

--
Jason Roysdon
http://jason.roysdon.net/