[Rule-list] non-x86 hardware ... heaps of old Macs need RULE

isaac isaac at unstoppable.com
Mon Feb 18 16:16:13 EET 2002

On Sat, 2002-02-16 at 00:31, Martin Stricker wrote:

> But you certainly have a point here: There are many low-hardware systems
> out there which are not intel-based. I don't have any idea how to bring
> RULE to those machines, but that would be a good idea... Anyone?
>
> Best regards,
> Martin Stricker

A little proposal ...   :)

A way to bring RULE to other distros is by first continuing the work
that is underway with the Red Hat installer (BTW--I think RH does have a
PPC version in the works, but only for IBM's PPC boxes, not Apple's).

Second, if in the process of building the RULE installer for Red Hat,
extensive notes are taken on how this was done and then after an initial
release, the experience could be synthesized into a more generalized
specification of minimum requirements, then a RULE installation option /
"wizard" (or separate installer on its own CD or floppies) could be
added to the other distros.

In other words, once the initial work is done, expand the scope of RULE
beyond Red Hat into a spec and then advocate its adoption by all the
Linux distros (similarly to how many are taking up LSB compliance).

-i