[Rule-list] more testing

Chuck Moss cmrule at mossc.com
Mon Feb 18 18:06:53 EET 2002

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 12:20:36AM -0500, Devon wrote:

> On Sunday 17 February 2002 11:00 pm, Jason Roysdon wrote:
> > Ok, I've got 3 boxen that I can test with.  I've poked around the CVS
> > area and followed every link I can find, but I'm not seeing where to
> > get any ISOs or other files to test the install with.  What have I
> > missed?  Was there something posted on-list that isn't on the
> > website(s)?
>
> I've avoided putting the iso's into CVS. The iso is more of a proof of
> concept than anything else, as I doubt that we want the final product to
> be a 248MB download. It does however show the changes to the installer
> nicely.
> You can get the latest revision here:
> http://webpages.charter.net/lmf62/RULE_installer-v0.5.3.iso
>
> Patches against the anaconda source and things of that nature are
> currently available on my own website:
> http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/
> (Mainly because I don't think they belong in CVS just yet.
> This is all initial testing, and not quite ready for prime time.)

Don't mean to be a pain but;

I don't think ISOs EVER belong in CVS.

CVS is "concurrent versions system".  There is no way you are going to be
able to manage different VERSIONS of ISOs.
A diff will do you no good.  A checkout to get the source code will take
many hours over a 144k IDSL link.

CVS is a SOURCE CODE control system.  SOURCE CODE is what belongs in CVS.

As an administrator of CVS for several years I beg you, PLEASE, PLEASE,
PLEASE don't put binaries or worse yet ISOs into CVS.

Thanks for listening,

Chuck Moss