[Rule-list] non-x86 hardware - and other distros

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Wed Feb 20 01:25:44 EET 2002

isaac wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-02-16 at 00:31, Martin Stricker wrote:
> >
> > But you certainly have a point here: There are many low-hardware
> > systems out there which are not intel-based. I don't have any idea
> > how to bring RULE to those machines, but that would be a good
> > idea... Anyone?

> Second, if in the process of building the RULE installer for Red Hat,
> extensive notes are taken on how this was done and then after an
> initial release, the experience could be synthesized into a more
> generalized specification of minimum requirements, then a RULE
> installation option / "wizard" (or separate installer on its own CD or
> floppies) could be added to the other distros.
>
> In other words, once the initial work is done, expand the scope of
> RULE beyond Red Hat into a spec and then advocate its adoption by all
> the Linux distros (similarly to how many are taking up LSB
> compliance).

Of course the modifications to the anaconda (Red Hat) installer will be
thoroughly documented.

However, porting this installer to another Linux distribution is
*difficult*. Reasons: Nearly every distro has it's own installer,
post-install scripts and configuration tools. I doubt any of these
distribution makers will include the anaconda/Red Hat-based RULE to
their official distribution (remember, one of the goals of RULE is to
get it included in the official Red Hat Linux distribution as an
additional install option!).

Furthermore, most distros do some things of their own: Including a
special software, depending on the use of their own configuration tool,
using non-standard paths, non-standard system init... Especially
S.u.S.E. comes into mind, but there are many others (including Red Hat,
depending on your point of view). This IDIC (infinite diversity in
infinite combination, a Vulcan philosophy from the Star Trek TV show)
can be nice for an user who can choose the best-fitting duístro, but
it's a nightmare for an application developer who tries to get his
program running on any distribution. You usually cannot install a
S.u.S.E. RPM on a Red Hat system. Porting an installer to all of these
distros isn't just a nightmare, it's hell... ;-)

Linux Standards Base might help easen this, but it can only go *so* far,
because the distros *need* their difference to keep their accustomed
user base.

Quite some time ago I looked into the sources of webmin
http://www.webmin.com/webmin/ . It was horrible! Not the webmin code,
it's well done, but all the work they have to do to ensure it working on
all distros and platforms. And it's "just" a configuration tool, imagine
what would be necessary for an installer!

I really would like an installer for all the distros, but the more I
think about it the less I think it's possible. We would end up with a
different installer per distro and a different package list per distro,
having many RULE subprojects wich have very little in common. I would
like to see that, but I'm only interested in Red Hat myself.

But I got carried away to other distros instead of other hardware
platforms (hence the altered subject), sorry.

Porting RULE to other hardware platforms than i386 requires:
1 porting RULE to the desired distro (if you don't use Red Hat)
2 porting the desired distro to the desired hardware platform (if it's
  not already supported by that distro, see Red Hat 7.2 and SPARC)
3 porting RULE to the desired hardware platform

I discussed point 1 rather lengthy above and don't have very much
insight in point 2 (but it seems to be much work, or else Red Hat
wouldn't have discontinued their SPARC release). Compared with the first
two points point 3 seems to be rather easy... But right now you would
have to do alt least one of the first two points before you can do point
3. :-(

Best regards,
Martin Stricker