[Rule-list] And now for a special announcement...(Nailed it!)

Brock Organ borgan at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 22:23:02 EET 2002

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 00:42, Devon wrote:
> Anyway, 3 days and about 25 CD's later, we have a working installer.
> Please download and test this if you can.
> The iso will be at
> http://webpages.charter.net/lmf62/RULE_installer-v0.6.2.iso
>
> Patches will be at my own server:
> http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/

The tests for the 0.6.2 iso went well ... the case of 32M of memory and
64Mb of swap seemed to be exceptionally flaky, failing 2 out of 3 times
with invalid media errors, and taking very long for the 1 time it
succeeded.  The CD media was then verified to work properly.  It is not
clear if it is flaky hardware or a bad software condition.

The installs were automated by using kickstart (except for the "turn on
swap" dialog that was manually navigated). The time measurement occurred
by touching a file in the %pre and a different file in %post and
comparing the time stamps.

PentiumII 400Mhz CDROM Italian Minimal Install Tests

Case                    Seconds (%pre -> %post)
mem=12M swap=128M       N/A
mem=14M swap=32M        722
mem=14M swap=64M        766
mem=14M swap=128M       731
mem=16M swap=32M        559
mem=16M swap=64M        611
mem=16M swap=128M       567
mem=32M swap=32M        325
mem=32M swap=64M        712*
mem=32M swap=128M       330

* invalid media (both CDROM drives) errors on some install attempts

Finally, the minimal installed systems installed functioned without
problem under low load testing in 8 Mb ... nothing fell over
immediately, that is to say :) ... (how it may behave under load is
another matter)

Brock Organ		QA Engineer		borgan at redhat.com
  "That which we are, we are..."    "I `em what I`em!"
    -Alfred, Lord Tennyson            -Popeye, Lord Sailor