[Rule-list] My 2 Eurocent on static apps

Bill Crawford bill at syseng.netcom.net.uk
Thu Feb 21 14:20:21 EET 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Marco Fioretti wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 01:59:11 +0100
> Martin Stricker <shugal at gmx.de> wrote:

> >Martin,
> >  Most of the time I agree.  However there are cases where a comprimise
> > needs to be made.  This is my only point..................
> > ....... But Konq configured staticly is lighter than Netscape.
> > It's a trade off and perhaps one best delt with one app at a time.
> >James
>
> Hello,
>
> personally, when I spoke the first time about statically built
> applications, I had exactly Konqueror in mind, for the same reasons
> that James mentions. Actually, not Konqueror, but Konq-e, the embedded
> version.

 Jakub's prelink (see ftp://people.redhat.com/jakub/) would help here.
The problem is mostly the startup time, due to the overhead of dynamic
linking; for various reasons it is quite high with qt and kde, but the
judicious use of prelink can apparently improve that dramatically.  I
havn't tried it out as a) I don't currently use KDE and b) I'm using a
990MHz Athlon ...

--
Bill Crawford, Unix Systems Developer, GTS Netcom
work: bill at ops.netcom.net.uk, home: billc at netcomuk.co.uk
	if (! (awake & TASK_RUNNABLE))
		return -ENOCAFFEINE;