floppies was Re: [Rule-list] Test of the *real* 0.7.0

Chuck Moss cmrule at mossc.com
Sat Feb 23 05:32:38 EET 2002

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 09:06:58PM -0500, Devon wrote:

> On Friday 22 February 2002 07:36 pm, Martin Stricker wrote:
> > First I want to thank you, Devon, for fixing this so *fast*! You do a
> > really *good* job!
>
> Screwing up so badly was a motivational experience. I wanted it fixed
> quickly. :)
>
> Thanks for testing, I was beginning to think you'd all given up on me
> after last nights screwups. :)
>
> > Renaming the previous attempts to 0.7.0-pre1 and 0.7.0-pre2. ;-)
>
> I wouldn't bother saving them. If you open 'anaconda' on the updates
> disk, you'll see the file is filled with garbage. Not sure what I did
> exactly, but it wasn't a 'good thing'.
>
> > So I saw the message and waited the 7 minutes the download needed. Then
> > I tied to build the two floppies. I got *lots* of disk errors (did I
> > mention I hate floppies? ;-) ) So I finally decided to buy new floppies
> > (the first since about 3 or 4 years). Now I *finally* am able to test
> > 0.7.0.
>
> I've had no end of difficulties with floppies myself, but I haven't
> bought any in years. It's on my list of things to do tomorrow, though.

Just a note on the floppy issue.  I was working with a lab of 25 old donated
computers.  I kept having problems with boot floppies.  Didn't know whether
it was the floppies, the floppy drive that created them, or the floppy drive
that I was trying to boot from.  Wasted many hours dealing with the issue.
Now whenever I have questionable floppies I do a low lovel format, then a
dos type format:

setfdprm -p /dev/fd0 1440/1440
fdformat /dev/fd0
mformat a: