[Rule-list] Ok,,, but what if you don't have a cdrom

James james at opencountry.org
Sun Feb 24 07:37:09 EET 2002

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:50:21 -0500
Devon <devon at tuxfan.homeip.net> wrote:

> On Friday 22 February 2002 03:36 pm, James wrote:
>
> > Ok,  Sorry for the delay in replying but work got in the way. (dang
it)
> > I got the pcmciadd.img from redhat 7.2 using dd and rawrite (both
> > methods seprately not at the same time *grin*) I got a diskette when I
> > use 0.7.0 of the loader I type "linux updates" at the prompt.  It
> > doesn't ask me for the update disk, and when it does ask for the
driver
> > disk it's says that this disk isn't a valid disk for this version of
> > RH.  Do I also need the pcmcia disk?  If so what parts of the boot.img
> > disk need to be transferred to the pcmcia.img?  Sorry to be a pain on
> > this one, but a lot of low mem laptops don't have internal cdroms.
> > (side note even though this box is monochrome the loader info is
> > reasonably readable.)
>
> I've just posted all of the images:
> http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/images-0.7.0/
>
> Other than the boot.img all are completely untested, as I don't have a
> laptop available for testing. Let me know if they work, or what goes
> wrong, please?
>
> Also, please let us know how the whole thing looks with a monochrome
> display, so we know if this is something we need to look at?

Ok running notes to see if I can get to the point of "seeing" the pcmcia
cdrom.

I have 3 disks in hand. pcmcia.img pcmciadd.img and updates tar.

disk one in system.... does boot from the disk!  After a very long wait.

entered linux updates

intrid img loads reasonalbly fast concidering it's a floppy

Bootup once loaded is actually faster than my desktop.

asks for PCMCIA diskd

disk accepted says it's init pcmcia dev... whoo hoo power light on the
cdrom

asks for driver disk.... hmmmm i'll say yes

said yes left the pcmciadd disk in moved on to asking lang.

it seems to have detected the cdrom... waiting for burner to finish disk 1

reading ctrl/alt/f4 It seems to have correctly detected the cdrom drive
sorta.  It also thinks this drive does DVD's (ha)

""" NOTE:"""" Devon you asked about the monochrome display.  The only
hassle seems to be that the bottom say 30 pixels are off screen.  This may
be the monitor it may not.  If it works on this box I'm going to try the
Libretto and I'll see if it makes a diff.

cdrom accessed fingers crossed.

loader.c appears to have started.

screen comes up asking if I want to load special device drivers.  going to
click add device just to see what happens.  It asked about scsi and
network.. since I don't have a nic with me I'm going to back out.

Asking for updates disk.  Reading updates.  getting flashes on the cdrom
id-10-t light. (now 5 minutes into install.)

No action for the last minute or so.  Letting it wait.

2 minutes later cdrom light flashing again.

Running anaconda please wait appears on the screen.

***Note:*** It looks like the top 100pixels of the screen are folded onto
the bottom of the screen.

Probing for video card comes up .... says it's unable to probe.
Same result for monitor type
Found the ps/2 mouse but it recognized it as a 3 button. (it's a two
button track ball)

mouse selection screen comes up.  choosing 2 button generic

WELCOME TO REDHAT LINUX

It asks what type of system I want to istall low mem laptop custom etc...
wish laptop low mem existed. Chosing low mem

Disk partitioning using auto. (simulation of novice user)  although time
between screens is slow it's not at all painful and screen response is
very high.

partitioning underway. seems to be done blank screen up (meaning no
selection yet.) install exiting abmormally --recieved signal 11

ctrl/alt/f3 last 3 lines anaconda floppy device fd0
                         Detected 16M of memory (funny it only has 11
megs)
                         Swap attempt of 96m to 192m

hmmmm  ctrl/alt/f4 yeilds a lot of errors erro -3 while decompressing etc
etc..... I think the media is bad.  Will check reburn and retry later
tonight. All the errors seem to be I/0 errors related to the media.

James