[Rule-list] Ok,,, but what if you don't have a cdrom

Devon devon at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sun Feb 24 08:42:20 EET 2002

On Sunday 24 February 2002 12:37 am, James wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:50:21 -0500

> I have 3 disks in hand. pcmcia.img pcmciadd.img and updates tar.

I assume by updates tar, you do mean that you have untared the archive.

> it seems to have detected the cdrom... waiting for burner to finish
> disk 1

Sounds like we are good to this point.

> """ NOTE:"""" Devon you asked about the monochrome display.  The only
> hassle seems to be that the bottom say 30 pixels are off screen.  This
> may be the monitor it may not.  If it works on this box I'm going to
> try the Libretto and I'll see if it makes a diff.

Not great news, but we can worry about the display quality later.

> Probing for video card comes up .... says it's unable to probe.
> Same result for monitor type
> Found the ps/2 mouse but it recognized it as a 3 button. (it's a two
> button track ball)

It appears to default to 3 button, I have never seen it detect anything
else. I'll have to look into it to be sure, I haven't actually looked at
it.

> It asks what type of system I want to istall low mem laptop custom
> etc... wish laptop low mem existed. Chosing low mem

Laptop is a custom install class. Look at laptop.py on the updates disk,
and the laptop section of the comps file. When you choose laptop, it
includes the lowmem install class, and adds laptop support to that. It
installs all the lowmem packages, plus: kernel-pcmcia-cs, irda-utils,
wireless-tools. If installing a laptop, you want to choose laptop.

> partitioning underway. seems to be done blank screen up (meaning no
> selection yet.) install exiting abmormally --recieved signal 11
>
> ctrl/alt/f3 last 3 lines anaconda floppy device fd0
>                          Detected 16M of memory (funny it only has 11
> megs)
>                          Swap attempt of 96m to 192m

All normal, with the exception of the segfault. ;)

> hmmmm  ctrl/alt/f4 yeilds a lot of errors erro -3 while decompressing
> etc etc..... I think the media is bad.  Will check reburn and retry
> later tonight. All the errors seem to be I/0 errors related to the
> media.

I've seen the same thing. I don't believe is a media problem. I believe
the installer is completely out of memory, and can't do anything. For
what it's worth, In my testing, if it died here and I tried again, the
install was often successful.

I'd be suprised at this point if you were able to complete the install in
11M of RAM. We just aren't quite there yet.

Other than that, the screens make sense? Install classes and the
modifications to the syslinux screen all look OK?

- -D

- --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt