[Rule-list] Ok,,, but what if you don't have a cdrom

James james at opencountry.org
Sun Feb 24 09:37:12 EET 2002

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 01:42:20 -0500
Devon <devon at tuxfan.homeip.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 24 February 2002 12:37 am, James wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:50:21 -0500
>
> > I have 3 disks in hand. pcmcia.img pcmciadd.img and updates tar.
>
> I assume by updates tar, you do mean that you have untared the archive.
>
> > it seems to have detected the cdrom... waiting for burner to finish
> > disk 1
>
> Sounds like we are good to this point.
>
> > """ NOTE:"""" Devon you asked about the monochrome display.  The only
> > hassle seems to be that the bottom say 30 pixels are off screen.  This
> > may be the monitor it may not.  If it works on this box I'm going to
> > try the Libretto and I'll see if it makes a diff.
>
> Not great news, but we can worry about the display quality later.
>
> > Probing for video card comes up .... says it's unable to probe.
> > Same result for monitor type
> > Found the ps/2 mouse but it recognized it as a 3 button. (it's a two
> > button track ball)
>
> It appears to default to 3 button, I have never seen it detect anything
> else. I'll have to look into it to be sure, I haven't actually looked at

> it.
>
> > It asks what type of system I want to istall low mem laptop custom
> > etc... wish laptop low mem existed. Chosing low mem
>
> Laptop is a custom install class. Look at laptop.py on the updates disk,

> and the laptop section of the comps file. When you choose laptop, it
> includes the lowmem install class, and adds laptop support to that. It
> installs all the lowmem packages, plus: kernel-pcmcia-cs, irda-utils,
> wireless-tools. If installing a laptop, you want to choose laptop.
>
> > partitioning underway. seems to be done blank screen up (meaning no
> > selection yet.) install exiting abmormally --recieved signal 11
> >
> > ctrl/alt/f3 last 3 lines anaconda floppy device fd0
> >                          Detected 16M of memory (funny it only has 11
> > megs)
> >                          Swap attempt of 96m to 192m
>
> All normal, with the exception of the segfault. ;)
>
> > hmmmm  ctrl/alt/f4 yeilds a lot of errors erro -3 while decompressing
> > etc etc..... I think the media is bad.  Will check reburn and retry
> > later tonight. All the errors seem to be I/0 errors related to the
> > media.
>
> I've seen the same thing. I don't believe is a media problem. I believe
> the installer is completely out of memory, and can't do anything. For
> what it's worth, In my testing, if it died here and I tried again, the
> install was often successful.
>
> I'd be suprised at this point if you were able to complete the install
in
> 11M of RAM. We just aren't quite there yet.
>
> Other than that, the screens make sense? Install classes and the
> modifications to the syslinux screen all look OK?

Had a thought.  Someone had said they managed to use a floppy as the
"swap" partition from the get go. What if on a really low memory boxen you
used a small (say 20 or 30 megs) dos partition on the hdd as the temporary
swap. On a laptop this would really work well as you could (after install)
use the partition as the hibernation partition. (since most require a dos
partition at the end of the drive for this purpose) Even if this section
was on a desktop this area could still be used as data storage or even
reformated for use as a linux partition.

James