[Rule-list] minor mailing list changes

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Mon Feb 25 18:08:34 EET 2002

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 03:12:48PM +0100, Martin Stricker wrote:
> > Chuck Moss wrote:
> >
> > > 2. add the info for the mailing list to the savannah web pages.

> > > I think the preferred solution was:
> > > a. to have the link to the mailing list shown on the website:
> > > b. only allow members to view the archives.  This is a maybe
> >
> > > Please comment on these ideas.  They are just suggestions for
> > > discussion.
> >

> > course, means that *any* email address (even in the body) must be
> > obfuscated.
>
> I'm convinced. I don't think there is any facility for obfuscating email
> addresses in the body of the message within mailman.
>
> So I will change the request to:
> Please add a notice to the mailing list sign up page notifying subscribers
> that the list has a public archive and email addresses should be left out
> of the body of messages.

I have been asked by outsiders several times why they couldn't look at
the archives before subscribing, to get a general idea. I would like
to allow that, actually, and vote for it. However, unless mailman has
by itself the capacity to obfuscate **every** address, manual
obfuscation won't work, because nobody is going to mess every time with:

	all the addresses he writes
	all those added by the mailers ( john at somewhere.com said.....)

I will check mailman's interface tonight about this, but if we want
to make it public, we should be prepared to accept the risk. OTOH,
for those of us being on any Red Hat mailing list, (some of) our
addresses are already left in full view right there, isn't it? :-(

	RULE project leader