[Rule-list] Ok,,, but what if you don't have a cdrom

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Mon Feb 25 22:12:13 EET 2002

Devon wrote:

> On Sunday 24 February 2002 01:06 am, James wrote:
>
> > Question how small is Rh's minimal install would it fit on a 500meg
> > hdd? (God can't believe I'm asking that about linux.)
>
> If you are using the boot disks I posted, you aren't doing a minimal
> Red Hat install any longer. You are installing a smaller version,
> because the updates disk includes it's own comps file and install
> classes. It should take about ~140M when complete, but the installer
> will believe that it needs closer to ~ 225M.

It claims to need 244 MB for 111 packets (low-mem chosen, nothing else
added). However, du -c -h gets 165 MB total. But I guess the 244 MB may
contain the installation image which is necessary if anything from CD 2
has to be installed. Luckily anaconda is smart enough to only copy it if
necessary.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker