[Rule-list] minor mailing list changes

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Mon Feb 25 23:15:03 EET 2002

Marco Fioretti wrote:

> > > course, means that *any* email address (even in the body) must be
> > > obfuscated.
> >
> > I'm convinced. I don't think there is any facility for obfuscating
> > email addresses in the body of the message within mailman.
> >
> > So I will change the request to:
> > Please add a notice to the mailing list sign up page notifying
> > subscribers that the list has a public archive and email addresses
> > should be left out of the body of messages.
> >

> I have been asked by outsiders several times why they couldn't look at
> the archives before subscribing, to get a general idea. I would like
> to allow that, actually, and vote for it. However, unless mailman has
> by itself the capacity to obfuscate **every** address, manual
> obfuscation won't work, because nobody is going to mess every time
> with:
>         all the addresses he writes
>         all those added by the mailers ( john at somewhere.com said.....)

That would be a reason for me to not use that mailer...

> I will check mailman's interface tonight about this, but if we want
> to make it public, we should be prepared to accept the risk. OTOH,
> for those of us being on any Red Hat mailing list, (some of) our
> addresses are already left in full view right there, isn't it? :-(

Yes. BTW my one and only email address also appears on every web page I
maintain. Still I don't get much spam, I have a good spam filter in
place.
+1 for making the list archive publicly available.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/