[Rule-list] cvs directory hierarchy

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Tue Feb 26 01:55:05 EET 2002

Chuck Moss wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions.  I knew if I posted a very bad idea it
> would force someone to come up with a better one. ;-)
>
> If there are no objections by tonight I will move forward with your
> layout as a starting point.

There are two ways to setup a development tree, and both do have their
pros and cons:
1) Function-oriented approach: Like my suggestion, all content is first
divided for the function of the content: Source code, documentation...
and then divided for subprojects.
2) Project-oriented approach: Each project has its own directory, where
subdirectories contain source code, documentation...

On my projects I prefer the fist approach, I want all code in one place
for easy compiling (doing mostly Perl and C). OTOH since RPMs contain
both compiled code and documentation it might be wise to go
project-oriented. But then, the spec file tells rpm where to find it's
files... For people who just want to take a look the function-oriented
approach is easier to use (I guess). Chuck, think about both approaches
and then do it the way *you* like most. I'll cope with any directory
structure if necessary.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Moeh for Kanzler! http://www.yes-moeh.de/index/