[Rule-list] The state of the installer message

Devon devon at tuxfan.homeip.net
Wed Feb 27 05:55:44 EET 2002

On Monday 25 February 2002 11:48 pm, Chuck Moss wrote:

> > I'd think any changes we make to anaconda would need
> > to isolated, perhaps as a new install method.
>
> I was thinking an option available in expert mode or a lowmem flag at
> the command line.

I like the lowmem boot flag, personally.

> I don't think RH will want to modify the MIN_RAM for all installs.
> I think a lowmem install class which isn't very visible might fly.

Right, and the installer could then exit unless lowmem had been specified.

> The pre-formatted swap is an interesting recent development.  We will
> have to follow up on that potential.

I am planning to persue this, and see where it leads.

> Uggh. no.  I think we will accept that these machines may not have a
> full development environment.  I am hoping we can get some use out of
> them.

I couldn't agree more. The install I booted into 8M is not bad to use, as
long as you respect the fact that it doesn't have a lot of memory
available.
For example, I decided to stress test the system...
Doing 'make dep && make bzImage && make modules' on the most recent
kernel source. The deps took just over an hour. The bzImage is still
struggling almost 20 hours later. I think I can verify that the machine
is handling the stress well enough. :) I ran it from a script that is
logging the time used for each step. If it ever completes, I'll post the
times. It's pretty clear the memory is the bottleneck, as 'top' reports
that the cpu is 97% idle. kswap is using only 0.2% CPU, which was a
suprise. Currently, the machine is using 13500k of swap.

> Ideally what we generate will be acceptable for redhat to include in
> later releases.  If we can't accomplish that then we can make our
> twekas available as floppy images with huge disclaimers about redhat
> support not being provided on lowmem machines.

I agree, it would be nice to have it included. If it isn't, that's still
OK. We'll have to see how it goes.

- -D

- --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt