[Rule-list] Mirroring website/downloads?

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Wed Feb 27 18:41:58 EET 2002

Chuck Moss wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 12:55:33AM +0100, Martin Stricker wrote:

> > I think it's a Good Idea (TM) to have some mirrors for the downloads,
> > I'm not yet sure if a website mirror is equally good.
>
> Is the idea of a mirror intended to support geographically close
> downloads?
> faster downloads?
> backup?

Backup and load balancing. I don't know about savannah, but SourceForge
can be quite slow sometimes. For floppy images this wouldn't be that
much pain, but if we really are going to offer ISO images with
slimmed-down RPMs as suggested by someone... Also some people might
prefer FTP access above HTTP. I, of course, prefer Rsync, wich IIRC is
vailable at least for developers.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/