[Rule-list] Re: Swap Brainstorm

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Wed Feb 27 18:48:49 EET 2002

Scott Hallock wrote:

> > Seriously though, if we can provide a boot disk
> > that lets the user create the partitions in advance, most of the
> rest can > be handled by the installer.
>
> That's good news.  Our choices here would be FreeDOS or a floppy-based
> Linux distribution.  I gather the preference would be a floppy-based
> Linux distro?  I've had good luck with Tomsrtbt in the past.

I would prefer Linux, of course. It must be easy to use, because our
main target for RULE are first-time computer users. Creating the early
swap partition *can* be done from within the RULE installer, see my just
posted INSTALL file, second draft. But that is nowhere near to user
friendly.

Just an idea in the wild: Would it be possible to alter anaconda on a
foot floppy so that it would only ask for the language and keyboard and
then goes into partitioning and exits after that? Especially modified
for small memory footprint? I think that would be very user-friendly.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/