[Rule-list] Images seem to work well

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sat Mar 2 03:22:01 EET 2002

Gordon Buzowetsky wrote:

> I tried this on my athlon...all went well but;  but seems the
> installer didn't like the look of my RH 5.1 disk....and then it told
> me it couldn't find a RH disk...:-))   Will be getting current RH
> disks ASAP....

The installers knows which version of Red Hat Linux CDs it wants. It
doesn't accept older ones nor newer ones.

Do you have 5.1 as original boxed set? If yes I'm interested buying it.
I'm collecting operating systems, preferably originals.

>   Is there anyway I can get a 'dmesg' up???   I tried switching
> consoles after booting but I'm not real sure about what I'm looking at
> there....not familiar enough with the RH installer to know.

VT1 is the installer, VT2 is a minimal bash shell (but many commands are
not available. There's free, but not top). VT3 and VT4 provide different
parts of the installer message output.

> And also what parameters should I add in to the menu...for the old
> cd drive??

Sorry, I don't know.

> Also...guess it helps to do the 'readme' thing.....I thought all three
> should have been bootable..:-))....after the second download and
> re-make....I thought the disks weren't any good....then I did  the
> readme....aha....the other two are driver disks.....(bonehead should
> maybe read the docs first!!!!)    But seriously,  could they be
> possibly sorted in a subdirectory as to 'boot.img' and then
> supplemental driver disks....to avoid confusion for newbs like
> me...:-))

Yeah, RTFM is always a Good Thing (TM). ;=D The images are stored the
same way as on the original Red Hat Linux CD 1: all in the same
directory. There are several bootable images, boot.img is the "normal
one", pcmcia.img is for laptops with PCMCIA CD-ROM drives...

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/