[Rule-list] Install instructions, next version

Julian G. jgollner at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 3 22:54:34 EET 2002

Hi,

I read about the RULE project a few weeks back on Slashdot, and I found it
very interesting. I tried setting up RULE tonight on an old Toshiba 410CDT
laptop (90 Mhz Pentium, 40 megs of ram, 785 meg HD, 6x CD). It never got to
the point where it was copying packages. I tried both the autopartition, and
using manually partitioning, but no luck. After formatting the swap and /
partitions, the processing/HDD light comes on on the laptop, and nothing
happens. I let it continue on for about an hour and a half (add: I tried it
again and left it overnight -- nada), before stopping it. I've tried both
autopartition and using disk druid. It's not the CD because I tried burning
a new copy of disc 1 and the problem persists. I had installed RH 7.2 on
this machine just a month before (in fact, I installed about 5-6 times (I
also tried Slackware 8.0 and RH 6.2), trying to give it a smaller
footprint), and so I know it should work fine.

I was using the 0.7.0 bootdisk and the 0.7.1 updates.

Any ideas on what could be the culprit?

(FYI: I tried about 4 times, no luck on any of them -- after formatting, it
just doesn't go anywhere)