[Rule-list] Potential low mem boot disk/installer

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Mon Mar 4 01:24:55 EET 2002

Devon wrote:

> I'm working on a script to use rpm2cpio to force the packages into
> place without actually using rpm. However, the busybox shell doesn't
> seem to understand some basic scripting commands. I'm looking for a
> small shell to include. At present, without attempting to format the
> floppy for a larger size, I have about 195k space left on the disk.
>
> Any thoughts or comments on this idea? It won't be as user friendly as
> anaconda, but it should work in 8M without any difficulty at all.

I *really* like your idea, especially using rpm2cpio. If the shell isn't
sufficient a small C program might be better (and most probably uses
less resources). The only "small" shells I can think of right now are sh
and csh, both not *really* small.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/