[Rule-list] Potential low mem boot disk/installer

James james at opencountry.org
Mon Mar 4 19:45:27 EET 2002

On 04 Mar 2002 12:23:49 -0500
Brock Organ <borgan at redhat.com> wrote:

> I've been there and done that, and the most nagging problem with using
> rpm2cpio is that the package pre and post scripts are not run, this
> means important configuration does not take place ... the other downside
> is that your rpm database does not get updated for the software you've
> installed, which makes rpm a lot less useful ...

Weird thought here.  If the only package you run rpm2cpio on is rpm
itself.  Once it's installed on the HDD then you call it from there to
install the package list, the last item you install is rpm with the
--force option (to get it into the rpm dbase).  Actually there are ways to
create an rpm dbase (FreeBSD Slackware etc use it.) when there is none,
but the pre/post scripts are needed.

James

http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/