[Rule-list] RULE doesn't install [was: Install instructions]

Julian G. jgollner at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 5 08:39:15 EET 2002

replies below

> If you wouldn't mind trying, could you do a normal Red Hat install and
> see if it is just as bad?

Normal Red Hat installs work fine. I select the packages, it formats, and it
begins copying. There's no noticeable delay after formatting is complete and
copying begins.

> - From what you are describing, it appears it would eventually install. I
> don't understand the long delay though.

I left it on overnight the last time... about 9 hours later, it was still at
that same point. The CD had stopped spinning, and the CPU led was no longer
flashing, but it was at the same blue screen. The last window/prompt to
appear is "Formatting / filesystem" (or "Formatting /boot filesystem" if I
used autopartition).

> If I understand, the file system has been formatted, and you probably
> were not asked about turning on swap? (as you have enough memory to get
> past that check.)
> Have you been asked to select an install class? (Packages to include)

Yes, I've been asked the install class (I chose Laptop). Later on I added
the "Network Support," "Dialup Support", and "Messaging and Web Tools"
package groups. Total install size was listed as 333 Mb. I've basically
gotten to the point RIGHT when it should start copying the files over -- I
think the windows/prompt that's supposed to come up is the one saying
"Preparing to Install..." or something to that effect... but it never does.
I've also tried it with mem=12M, and mem=32M, with no luck (both times the
prompt asking me to turn on swap came up -- I said yes).

> Just trying to figure out what has been done, and where you seem to be
> hanging up.

I've done all the configuring and such... all that *should* follow (if the
installer is otherwise the same as the redhat one) is basically the copying
of files to the HD.