[Rule-list] Logging of events during bootup

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Fri Mar 8 02:14:04 EET 2002

Will Ganz wrote:

> My suggestion is, for at least this development phase, to have the
> option to log the various terminal outputs to text files on the
> floppy.
>
> Specifically, add to the bootup an option to make a series of log
> files to the boot floppy(i.e. ks=floppy mem=12M logging=floppy). At
> designated points during the bootup sequence, the output to the
> various terminals would be tee'd to an ASCII text log file on the boot
> floppy into a separate subdirectory. This would give a series of text
> log files with date/time stamps to show when certain events occurred.
> In the event of a 'hung'/stalled/bad installation, there would be some
> log files on the boot floppy for a postmortem analysis. This would
> eliminate the questions of "how long did it take for action X to
> occur??" A look at the date/time stamps on the files would give this
> information. These files could also be sent in emails to the
> configurators. This would give the configurators a standard format to
> look at plus they would be able to then parse it with their favourite
> scripting language to grab the information that they want.

I thought about a logfile for myself, but since I don't know how to
implement it...

I would prefer one single logfile. It should contain lines starting with
a timestamp just as the usual Linux logs like /var/log/messages do.
Maybe there can be some "debug code" added to the parts of the installer
which will generate log entries if triggered by the right boot option.
But I guess we cannot log the boot commandline itself.

I have no clue how to implement this, I haven't even had the time to
look into Devon's anaconda Python code. :-(( And I won't have the
necessary time in the near future, too.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/