[Rule-list] rule tested on PC 14 (and an installer update)

Devon devon at tuxfan.homeip.net
Fri Mar 8 06:34:53 EET 2002

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 04:05 pm, hairylarry at deltaboogie.com wrote:

> PC 14 is a Pentium MMX 166, 32M, 540M hd.
>
> Installs Red Hat Linux 7.2 fine from CheapByte CDs onto larger hard
> drive. It runs KDE and Konqueror. It's Ok. A lot of disk thrashing. Not
> really very fast. But usable.
>
> These tests were done with the 540 Meg Seagate. I used boot.img
> and v0.7.0 update disk for these tests.
>
> This size hard drive would not autopartition. I used fdisk to set up
> two partitions. 450 Meg for /. The rest for swap.
>
> None of the configurations would fit in 450 Meg. I used custom. I
> selected only network support, dial-up support, and Internet/Web.

Are you sure this booted from the boot.img file I created and not the
cdrom? This looks like a standard install to me. All of the
configurations provided will fit onto that disk.

> The custom installer is real nice and shows how many megs for the
> selected configuration. Printing Support is over 100 megs. Most
> people will want to print even though I rarely do. Almost any
> configuration with Printing Support would eat the whole drive.

Can't be the updated installer. There is no printing option.

> Now the bad news. I physically removed 16 Meg of RAM. Now PC 14
> has only 16 meg.

The machine must have booted from the CD. The stock installer fails below
19M. The modified will will try to go down to 4M.

> Is there something else I should try here?

Unless I am mistaken, try it with no cd in the drive at boot time. :)

Don't worry though...
In a few minutes I'll post details on my latest revision to the miniconda
boot disk. You have to partition and mkswap, and mke2fs manually, but
most of the remainder is scripted. I haven't gotten around to scripting
the install of the boot loader yet, but the commands that should do the
trick are printed to the screen for you.

It has already installed on 3 machines here in 8M of RAM. The installs
took under an hour each, even on the P-166

- -D

- --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt