[Rule-list] Successful install of V0.1.1 on PC 14

Devon devon at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sat Mar 9 18:11:24 EET 2002

On Friday 08 March 2002 09:44 am, hairylarry at deltaboogie.com wrote:

> Rule installed correctly on PC14, a 166 Pentium MMX with 32M ram
> and 540M hd.

Excellent, thanks for some good news finally! ;)

> I partitioned 64M swap, 32M boot, remainder /
>
> This is probably larger than boot needs to be. Any comments?

I've been setting /boot to 24M. Personal preference really. After install
/boot shows less than 3M used space.

> According to Slack a good rule of thumb is swap doubles your
> memory. That's what I did here. Would this hold true for 16M or 8M
> systems? Would it hurt and 8M system to use 64M swap?

I believe double the RAM is a good rule of thumb. To be honest, I am not
sure if having 32M of swap with 8M of RAM is of any real benefit. I would
think 16M would be plenty. Anyone want a research project? ;)

> I think we have to recommend partition sizes. Making this decision is
> difficult for someone new to linux.

Agreed.

> If possible it would be nice to have a partiton script. Will fdisk
> accept commands from a file?

I'm looking into a script for partitioning, just haven't gotten to it yet.

> A partiton script would also ensure that
> mkswap and mke2fs were run and the mount points specified
> correctly.

My plan is that V0.1.2 will do the mkswap, and mke2fs commands for you
after prompting for the devices. Hopefully you will be able to tell the
installer hdb3 is /boot, hdb3 is /, hdb1 is swap, etc.

> I ran vi and I got a no termcap message. I believe this means a
> keyboard was not selected.

This should be fixed in the next release. I believe I need to include a
minimal /etc/termcap file.

> I like nano better than vi anyway. Coming from a world of DOS
> editors nano was much more natural for me to use. We need vi and
> emacs running but I vote for nano on the menu. For rule the ease of
> use factor is most important.

I agree, though it's nice to be able to offer vi for those who expect it.

> How do I get my network installed? Kudzu recognised the NIC. In
> free bsd I would do /stand/sysinstall. Is there a similar program in
> Red Hat for post install configuration?

I'm adding install subclasses for V0.1.2. The user will be prompted for
laptop, networking tools, web/communication tools, dial-up support, etc.
Currently you get only a base system, and don't have the tools available.

> Thanks, Devon, for the great installer. I will test it with low memory
> and on a 486 soon.

Worked well, was reasonably fast, and not too hard to understand?
The part I don't like is the final pivot_root/chroot that has to be
manually navigated. There is work to do there, but not for V0.1.2. One
step at a time.

Thanks for testing and the feedback.

- -D

- --