[Rule-list] miniconda v0.1.1 MACHINE #13

Gordon Buzowetsky idesofmarch at sk.sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 10 04:17:05 EET 2002

> > There were errors in the install at the beginning of the
> > sequence...something about cannot find files or directories in /var it
> > went by quite fast..and my aging memory is not like 20ys ago...no
> > longer photographic...sorry just an aging 'homo sapien'...;-))
>
> Hrmm, /var/lib/rpm ring a bell? Sounds like perhaps it couldn't
> initialize the rpm database. Every error you saw was probably an rpm
> package that didn't get installed.
>
> > What I've got now is probably repairable...to get a running system.
> > I'll wait for a bit an see what ya think...
>
> If you have time, could you try something for me?
> This might work:
>
> boot from the boot disk
> from the initial shell:
> mount /dev/[your / device]  /newroot
> mount /dev/[your /boot device]  /newroot/boot
> swapon /dev/[your swap device]
> cd newroot
> mkdir oldroot (it may exist already)
> pivot_root . oldroot
> chroot .
> cd /root/scripts
> nano base_install.sh
> change the rpm command by adding:
> - --replacepkgs (right after rpm -ivh should be fine)
> to the rpm flags.
> rm -Rf /proc
> ln -s /oldroot/proc  /proc
> rpm --initdb
> rpm --rebuilddb
>
> If any of the above produces an error, please make a note of it.
> If there were no errors, you should be able to run:
>
> ./base_install.sh
>
> If you see errors, please hit ctl-c and copy any errors you can.
> If you see no errors, the install should complete.
>
> If any errors point to files or directories not found, please do an
> 'ls /path/to/problem/directory'.

Hi D...well there were a few errors...most you know about already....

./base_install.sh:  line 63: syntax error near unexpected token '(t'
./base_install.sh:  line 63: 'echo "'exit' (this kills the current
shell)"'

I also had a 'self inflicted' one.........ln creating symbolic links
/proc/proc to /oldroot/proc....no such file or directory....notice the
/proc/proc............over-exuberant typing I guess....;-))

Seems I got all of the install in place now but...because of my botched
installing---I've now lost lilo....tried re-entering the file system and
chrooting...did the lilo -v -c /etc/lilo.conf...........get complaints
about 'merging with boot.b' and boot.b not existing......

Think I better wipe the slate clean...and wait for v1.2........

Later...G