[Rule-list] ideas about rule partitions

Gordon Buzowetsky idesofmarch at sk.sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 10 04:30:37 EET 2002

> Similarly with a swap of 64M reducing swap isn't going to free a lot of
> disk space.
>
> So an auto partiton script for rule would not have to detect ram and
> hard drive size. It could just delete all existing partitons and then
> build the partitons listed above. (or a better tuned variant)
>
> This is, of course, for a new rule install where the entire drive was
> going to linux. My guess, though, is that this will be most rule
> installs.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hairy Larry

Hi Larry.......The entire drive going to linux may be a premature
assumption....I've got a box with a 30gig hdd....a win install in front;
my main linux distro and a few linux experiments on the go....you let this
thing loose in something like that...would I be some ripped up if I didn't
know how to stop it!!!!

I've heard of other distros doing exactly that....formatting the whole
drive...think MS does it by nature, doesn't it??  I know for sure that
once the 'whole disk format' happened...it would only be once!!!!

Nah...keep it where you can see it....that way if someone takes an
interest...then RULE will get installed permanently on a box of its
own....

I know I've downloaded several minis just to play with....partitioning,
especially with something like 'cfdisk' is very intuitive and quite easy
actually..even for total newbies....

As far as WMs go...I am currently using Windowmaker as a main
desktop...there's enough toys in that to keep anyone happy...runs well on
the low-end pentiums too...but OTOH so does IceWM....either would be a
good choice; for the pentiums;  get to 486's tho...then I think Blackbox
would be the best performer.

And on that note....

Later...G