[Rule-list] editors (was: Succesful install of V0.1.1 on PC14)

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Mon Mar 11 01:53:04 EET 2002

"Julian G." wrote:

> I think we should be aiming for ease of use over something with tons
> of features (that only experts would know how to use...). Experts can
> install the more advanced editors later on should they so desire.
>
> VIm should be avoided, as I feel it will only confuse newbies. What
> would be best, I think, is something similar to the DOS edit.com ...
> ie: just a simple text editor, with a menu up top or on the bottom so
> they can see what buttons to press. Something that will let them edit
> scripts/config files without getting overly frustrated.

Ever tried to *use* DOS edit? I was once forced to, until I managed to
install GNU vi for DOS. Was a horrible experience. No helpers, no
nothing. A line suggesting the most common commands (including the help
command to get a full list) at top/bottom (I prefer the bottom)
certainly is useful for newbies, but it should be removable. Emacs does
such a line by default, I think (mine is configured not to), and I
believe vim can do this, too.

vi *must* be installed on any RULE system! This might be just
vim-minimal, though. Some sort of vi is present on *any* Unix OS I know,
so if emacs doesn't work I can retreat to vi. The presence of vi is
expected by any Unix/Linux user, so it must be included. Another editor
can be installed as the default editor, a fact that must be noted in the
README along with the information on how to change that into another
editor. If I find vi not working I won't believe you, when you tell me
I'm sitting in front of an Unix system.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/