[Rule-list] microwindows

James james at opencountry.org
Mon Mar 11 09:31:43 EET 2002

All,

  Can't use arachne if we want to stay up to date.  It's based on libc2.1  not 2.2 as is current.  Won't even try to install on my 2.2 system.  Too tightly compiled for RH 6.1, as such, and without source.. no can do.  As for the windowing environment. However I've now got BrowseX running on a 486 notebook. (Patiently waiting for a RULE install) Doesn't do javascript well yet but it's only 6 megs in total size, and very fast.  http://www.browsex.com or Dillo at 1.1 megs.  http://dillo.sourceforge.net/ not as good but it does work.

  As for windowing. Why not 3.3.6? XWindows..  I've had it running on a 486 with 12 megs ram!  The major reasons for 4.x Xwindows are the newer cards. (most low mem devices probably won't do AGP anyway) and Framebuffer. (Many of the older cards arent capable of Framebuffer, since they came out before standards settled out.) I mean, since you can't play quake in 8 megs anyway.  Why worry that it won't support the 3d acceleration that you don't have anyway? Seriously though.  at 12 megs I was limited to 16 bit color (this may have been due to the monitor as well) and KDE was a tad bit too heavy.  Same for Gnome.  But Windowaker and Blackbox did ok.  However ICE rocked.  fast light and it looked enough like windows my wife told me she didn't want Linux cause she didn't know how to use it, but this version of windows was easy to use. (*grin* I never told her for a while, just said (in 1999) that it was an advanced copy of windows 2001.)

James