[Rule-list] install of V0.1.2 on PC 14

Devon devon at tuxfan.homeip.net
Wed Mar 13 20:10:19 EET 2002

On Tuesday 12 March 2002 01:17 pm, hairylarry at deltaboogie.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> PC 14 is a 166 Pentium with 32 meg of ram and a 540 meg hd.
>
> I tried the .img for miniconda not miniconda-modular. The installer ran
> great. Installed first try. This is a great improvement with only one
> script to run.

Excellent news.

> On my system the network did not configure correctly. Kudzu found
> the card and I got the network configuration screen but ping returns
> Network Unreachable on the LAN and even for 127.0.0.1.

Fixed already locally. If you do:
'echo NETWORKING=yes > /etc/sysconfig/network'
You should be able to run 'service network start' and the network will
come up. I've already modified the install script to handle this.

> Also still no termcap for vi which means I can't run vi because I don't
> know the control sequences. I always just use the arrows. Nano still
> runs fine.

Hrmm, I did include a termcap file. I'll have to test it and see. In
reality, there should be no need for vi within the installer, but it
would be nice to have available.

> I see the loop devices after installation. Is it possible to have
> /dev/loop0 and losetup available at CD mount time? I want to mount a
> .iso image file and install from a hard drive on hdb. This would allow
> installs on systems with no CD.

Including loop devices is easy enough. losetup would be harder, we don't
have the disk space. Additionally, this won't work with the current
installer. It wants to partition and format the disk. That wouldn't be
possible if you have the iso on the disk. I suppose you could do it with
a 2 disk install.

> I will test miniconda-modular next.

It's the exact same thing, with RedHat's BOOT kernel rather than the one
I built without module support.
Unless you manually load the modules, making a boot disk will fail with
the modular kernel as mkbootdisk needs vfat support.

> Thanks for the great work.

Welcome. :)

- -D

- --