[Rule-list] loop devices in installer

Devon devon at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sat Mar 16 00:56:37 EET 2002

On Thursday 14 March 2002 12:45 pm, hairylarry wrote:

>   mkdir /dos
>   mount /dos
>   losetup /dev/loop0 /dos/disk1.iso
>   mount /dev/loop0 -o loop /mnt/cdrom

I've added the loop devices to the /dev directory, they should now be
available as soon as you boot. (in the next version, of course)

I believe you can do this without losetup. To be honest, I haven't
figured out losetup myself. The last time I tried to use it, I got things
mounted, then unmounted without a problem. However, when I tried to
remount them, loop0 was busy. I had to mount on loop1. Each mount and
unmount forced me to go to the next loop device.

I normally just mount .img files like:
'mount -o loop filename.img /mnt/cdrom'

If it can be done without losetup, this should be easy. We really don't
have the room in the boot.img for another application.

> I'm gonna box up my 486 and play with this a while today. I'll keep you
> posted on my progress. If you get anything preliminary on this let me
> know and I will help test it.

I'll see what I can throw together tonight, and post it for testing.

> If you get the loop devices installed and losetup available I will be
> glad to modify the script and then send it to you. You could then take
> my mods and make them an option if everything tested out ok.

By all means feel free to send me modified scripts.
You can test this yourself for now. Just boot the installer and from VT2,
you can enter :
mknod /dev/loop0 b 7 0
mknod /dev/loop1 b 7 1
mkdir /mnt/dos
mkdir /mnt/image
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/dos
mount -o loop /mnt/dos/disk1.iso /mnt/image

(It may be necessary to use -t iso9660) like:
'mount -o loop -t iso9660 /mnt/dos/disk1.iso /mnt/image'

Let me know how you make out.

- -D

- --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt