[Rule-list] Joining group

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Tue Mar 19 02:04:39 EET 2002

"Rodolfo J. Paiz" wrote:

> Hi, everyone!

Welcome aboard, Rodolfo! I really missed you here since some of the
initial input for RULE came from you.

> Have borrowed a 486 (33?) with 8MB RAM, I think a 200MB disk, and an
> Ethernet card, on which to test at will. Will provide more exact
> details if needed/requested.

There is a test PC request form which I will mail you in private (I'm
not sure if it's on the website or download area). Fill it and mailo it
to Benoit Mortier.

Since you only have 8 MB and a 486 I recommend the use of slinky-0.1.5,
it should work. There are currently two different installers available,
both done by Devon: The anaconda-based miniconda, now at version 0.7.3,
and the home-brewed-rescue-floppy-based slinky, now at version 0.1.5.
Miniconda is proven to work with 12 MB (there was one success story at 8
MB, but mine went dead). Slinky is proven to work with 8 MB, maybe less.

> Am I correct in thinking that the RULE installer allows for net
> installs, or is it just local media?

I think network install is available with the latest version of both
installers. There was an in-depth testing/discussion just hours ago, see
the archives.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/